WienerWritings
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 06:21:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
80562 Posts in 9515 Topics by 670 Members
Latest Member: TDelapena
* Home Help Search Gallery Calendar Login Register
Wiener Writings  |  Wiener Writings  |  General Writings  |  Topic: Can Dry Dog Food Go Bad? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can Dry Dog Food Go Bad?  (Read 9169 times)
MindyKay
Wonder Wiener
Member's Gallery

Can Dry Dog Food Go Bad?
« on: January 18, 2008, 01:36:58 PM »

Ozzy's poops are still not normal and today, he had another diarrhea attack (fortunately outside).  I've been mixing Natural Choice dry in with the prescription Eukanuba.  I can't think of anything else that is causing this, and I have had this dry food for quite a while.

Luke Skywalker:  "I, I don't believe it!"  Yoda:  "That is why you fail."
Kari
Global Moderator.
Member's Gallery

Re: Can Dry Dog Food Go Bad?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 01:38:00 PM »
« Reply to: MindyKay»

I believe it can go bad. We had this experience with Mr. Tucker's food!

Owned by Penny the Princess Princess & Mr. Tucker the C-A-T cat
WatchPenny.Com
Jeri
Wonder Wiener
Member's Gallery

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »

That's a good question!  It got me doing a bit of googling.

One site says dry food is good for up to a year, but foods with natural preservatives do not keep as long as artificial preservatives.  Also it says that better foods have a sell by date stamped on the package.  To store food, they caution "Remember that the major sources of damage to pet food are oxygen, heat, humidity, and light....Avoid storing dry food in damp basements, bathrooms or laundry rooms, since moisture encourages the growth of mold. If possible, keep dry food in its original bag and place inside another clean, dry, container with a snug lid to keep out light, air, rodents, and insects."   

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=11&cat=1296&articleid=2804

The FDA site had a good recommedation.  It says "If you store dry pet food in a container other than its original bag, be sure to wash the empty container with soap and water before adding food from a new bag. The residual fat that settles on the bottom of the container can become rancid beyond its shelf life (the date stamped on the bag). This spoiled fat may contaminate fresh food added to the container, causing vomiting or diarrhea when fed to your pet."

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2001/301_pet.html

I'm okay on the first part.  We keep the food in a large tin in our pantry, and only buy 2-3 months supply at a time.  I had never thought about washing the tin, but I will now!

Jeri, mom to Skeeter, Boone and Longfellow,  and Archie & Leopold at the Bridge
Beth
Wonder Wiener
Member's Gallery

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »

I had this problem with Chilie back in November.  I feed her Solid Gold, and I bought the biggest bag they had because they didn't sell the small bag.  I bought it in May, and Chilie was getting sick in November.  I finally figured out (with the help of this board) that her food was bad.  Now I only buy the small bags and I store the opened bag in a big ziploc bag to keep it fresh.

Jeri, that is great information you found.  Before November, I was using the same container for Chilie's food, and I never thought of washing it out.  Eeeeeewwwwwww.

Owned by Chilie.  Yes, she's a princess, and don't try to tell her otherwise!
Barb
Global Moderator
Member's Gallery
Happy to be owned by Rudy,Brandy,Toby,Mary,Holly

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 07:25:01 AM »
« Reply to: MindyKay»

I think it can too.  Rudy had a bout with his tummy a month or so ago.  I fed him rice one day and then rice and Brandy's canned food the next and he did fine.  We had a thread on the subject a while back (I think it may have been Chilie that got so sick) - so I threw his bag away.  I now keep the excess in the freezer and fill my small container once a week. 

(I just read everyone else's answers.... and I also washed out my small container - which I didn't do either when I filled it up !!!!)

Owned by Rudy, Toby, Mary, Holly, Brandy-Angel
Rescue one, Adopt one, SAVE one !
www.anipalsanctuary.org
Doxherding Karen
Wonder Wiener
Member's Gallery
Git alooooooong 'lil doogies! Yee Haw!!

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 02:03:10 AM »

Yep, I remember posting about Hector the cat's food going rancid in the box it was stored in in my mom's garage.  When she passed away in October, I threw the food out.

Hector by the way, has become a very pampered housecat living with my daughter Gilah in nearby Mount Washington.  He hoists his massive frame up onto her bed and walks across the laptop keyboard, just to make sure Gilah knows he's there.  Like anyone could not see a cat that massive!!!  SSLOL!

Karen Heart

"I tried marriage and children - it ended badly. 
I'm doing much better with dachshunds and rabbits."
paddipenni

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 10:34:38 AM »

:eeew:I was having tummy upset, due to Bully Sticks ... How was I to know I wasn't suppose to eat it, just nibble on it. dontknow Now, I don't get them cause I never learned!!
As for my dog food, my vet man, Scott, told mom to divide the bag up and store all but a weeks worth in the freezer, and seal that in a zip lock bag during use.  Wink
The rug man said it is 14 degrees below zero this morning, but I just have to really hurry to do my  business, even with my sweater on Walk Shocker  The sun is shining brightly to make up for the cold Thumbs Up
So tickled to read all the info every one has, and the love for their pets.  Heart Paddi's mom!
Pages: [1] Print 
Wiener Writings  |  Wiener Writings  |  General Writings  |  Topic: Can Dry Dog Food Go Bad? « previous next »
Jump to: